Tuesday, President Trump will address the combined chambers of Congress. Allegedly, Congressional Republicans are looking for more specific guidance. To this analyst, the seems to be very late in the process. It is downright delinquent.
Presidents and their parties have platforms. The job of President is to make the platform operational. That comes from the President having transformed the platform into an actionable manifesto.
Citizens should have had an ample opportunity to review and understand both the platform and manifesto, at least a year in advance. That is not what happened in Election 2016.
What American citizens are witnessing is an unprepared President, operating on the fly. He is often misaligned with members of his party. He is undoubtedly misaligned with the majority of American citizens that he is sworn to represent. He is surprising and astonishing many people, not by brilliance, but by his direct assault on the Constitution and values that define who we are as a nation. Essentially, we are witnessing bait and switch.
"Few may be expecting the latter. But many of Trump's own Republicans have been looking for greater specifics on the replacement of Obamacare or the reform of the tax code.
They may not want marching orders, but a sense of what the president wants to prioritize. House Speaker Paul Ryan, for example, was pleased this week when Trump again spoke of a 20 percent "border adjustment" tax as part of his new trade policy, an idea Ryan has counted on in his own budget projections.
Down the road, they will also need clearer ideas about the military build-up, the revamp of the Veterans Administration or the actual reality of a wall tracing the entire border between the U.S. and Mexico."
America's Priority Outcomes
(This list is the author's suggested priorities.)
- Nation secured economically - 100%
- Nation has a sustainable economy - 100%
- Nation secured militarily - 100%
- Homeland secured from terrorists - 100%
- Employment opportunities for all who can work - 100%
- Upward mobility for all who are prepared commensurate with ability - 100%
- All persons provided minimal sustainment as a baseline to start - 100%
- Social security assured for all persons - 100%
- Clean air and water - 100%
- Best education in the world - #1
- Freest nation in the world - #1
- Lowest crime rate in the world - #1 in the least crime per capita