Saturday, February 9, 2019

Welcome To My Holon

When guru Dan Appleton introduced the idea of holons (holonics) to the "firm" in 1992, many of us rolled our eyes as he was want to introduce new paradigms and innovative applications of concepts that sometimes seemed a little out of reach.

"A holon (Greek: ὅλον, holon neuter form of ὅλος, holos 'whole') is something that is simultaneously a whole and a part." 
Wiki

When trying to understand and explain the complexity of our existence, the notion of holons fits right in. Thought leader, David M. Boje created a graphic to try to account for certain holonic relationships. I am using his model to populate my individual points of view. (David M. Boje is Professor and Bill Daniels Ethics Fellow, a past endowed Bank of America professor of management at New Mexico State University (NMSU) in Las Cruces.)

Boje suggests that identifying "who are your people?" begins by understanding the holonic relationships and how they impact your personal identity or brand.  The funny thing is, the audience for my several books is relatively small compared with the audience for my poetry and former journalism articles.

I am forever refining my audience and my understanding of it.

In my lifetime, I may have garnered an audience of 8 million persons, though today it is closer to 8,000. Size isn't bad unless you are needing to make a living from audience members buying something from you. That's alright now because I am retired and self-sufficient.

Still, I write and publish ideas intended for a future audience that begins with my twin grandsons. At nearing four years of age, they already know that their grandpa is peculiar, though I also believe that they are too, and that is just the way we might like it.

According to the Boje model, my "World Views" is influenced by "my people." My intellectual priority today is advancing my world views because I believe they are important and potentially enduring. I document them for my grandsons in hope that one day they will read them and draw conclusions:

1) "Jimpa" was a thinker and a doer.

2) "We" can do that too.

3) His ideas have relevance, and we can build on that.

Therefore, my primary audience is my grandsons, success at the size of two individuals.

In the next article, I will generate my unique holonic diagram.





No comments:

Post a Comment