There is insufficient space in an article or book to replicate the political party platforms. Therefore I will point to their website reference. In the event of a future book, I may have to reproduce the complete document because political parties may not maintain a public record.
In the preceding article, titled "American Priority Outcomes," I outlined a proposed list in sequence of relative importance, and I explained why.
"America's Priority Outcomes
- Nation secured economically - 100%
- Nation has a sustainable economy - 100%
- Nation secured militarily - 100%
- Homeland secured from terrorists - 100%
- Employment opportunities for all who can work - 100%
- Upward mobility for all who are prepared commensurate with ability - 100%
- All persons provided minimal sustainment as a baseline to start - 100%
- Social security assured for all persons - 100%
- Clean air and water - 100%
- Best education in the world - #1
- Freest nation in the world - #1
- Lowest crime rate in the world - #1 in the least crime per capita"
To begin the Republican Party Platform Analysis, refer first to the Preamble:
As Americans and as Republicans we wish for peace — so we insist on strength. We will make America safe. We seek friendship with all peoples and all nations, but we recognize and are prepared to deal with evil in the world.
- With this platform, we the Republican Party reaffirm the principles that unite us in a common purpose.
- We believe in American exceptionalism.
- We believe the United States of America is unlike any other nation on earth.
- We believe America is exceptional because of our historic role — first as refuge, then as defender, and now as exemplar of liberty for the world to see.
- We affirm — as did the Declaration of Independence: that all are created equal, endowed by their Creator with inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- We believe in the Constitution as our founding document.
- We believe the Constitution was written not as a flexible document, but as our enduring covenant.
- We believe our constitutional system — limited government, separation of powers, federalism, and the rights of the people — must be preserved uncompromised for future generations.
- We believe political freedom and economic freedom are indivisible.
- When political freedom and economic freedom are separated — both are in peril; when united, they are invincible.
- We believe that people are the ultimate resource — and that the people, not the government, are the best stewards of our country’s God-given natural resources.
Based on these principles, this platform is an invitation and a roadmap. It invites every American to join us and shows the path to a stronger, safer, and more prosperous America.
This platform is optimistic because the American people are optimistic."
One significant issue stands out: "We believe the Constitution was written not as a flexible document, but as our enduring covenant." The rule of law and the U.S. Constitution is intended by our Founding Fathers to be an amendable and adaptable document such that it lives and breaths to reflect the needs of modern times. That is why the document is skimpy in parts, and why the legislature enacts laws, changes and amends them in concert with the executive branch. Therefore, this sentence in the GOP Preamble sets the stage for an attack against the very Constitution that all the other words express to support. It is a major contradiction and unmitigated conflict of interest. That is for discussion and debate.
There is probably nothing else in this statement for which most Americans would not agree. However, it doesn't stop there. It is when the authors decided to attack the Democratic Party and the former President Obama that the words become debatable.
Suggested is that political party platforms stick to stating positions, and to leaving the political debate and comparisons to the candidates and the political process. The reason is that citizens need to digest and understand the foundation. There is too much bait and switch and disguise in both party platforms.
Read the rest.
- "This platform lays out — in clear language — the path to making America great and united again. For the past eight years, America has been led in the wrong direction.
- Our economy has become unnecessarily weak with stagnant wages. People living paycheck to paycheck are struggling, sacrificing, and suffering.
- Americans have earned and deserve a strong and healthy economy.
- Our standing in world affairs has declined significantly — our enemies no longer fear us and our friends no long trust us.
- People want and expect an America that is the most powerful and respected country on the face of the earth.
- The men and women of our military remain the world’s best. The have been shortchanged in numbers, equipment, and benefits by a Commander in Chief who treats the Armed Forces and our veterans as a necessary inconvenience.
- The President and the Democratic party have dismantled Americans’ system of healthcare. They have replaced it with a costly and complicated scheme that limits choices and takes away our freedom.
- The President and the Democratic party have abandoned their promise of being accountable to the American people.
- They have nearly doubled the size of the national debt.
- They refuse to control our borders but try to control our schools, farms, businesses, and even our religious institutions. They have directly attacked the production of American energy and the industry-related jobs that have sustained families and communities.
- The President has been regulating to death a free market economy that he does not like and does not understand. He defies the laws of the United States by refusing to enforce those with which he does not agree. And he appoints judges who legislate from the bench rather than apply the law.
- We, as Republicans and Americans, cannot allow this to continue. That is why the many sections of this platform affirm our trust in the people, our faith in their judgment, and our determination to help them take back their country.
- This means removing the power from unelected, unaccountable government.
- This means relieving the burden and expense of punishing government regulations.
- And this means returning to the people and the states the control that belongs to them. It is the control and the power to make their own decisions about what’s best for themselves and their families and communities.
- This platform is many things: A handbook for returning decision-making to the people. A guide to the constitutional rights of every American. And a manual for the kind of sustained growth that will bring opportunity to all those on the sidelines of our society.
- Every time we sing, “God Bless America,” we are asking for help. We ask for divine help that our country can fulfill its promise. We earn that help by recommitting ourselves to the ideas and ideals that are the true greatness of America."
GOP Party Platform