Monday, March 13, 2017

Subtle Country Humor

I had a pleasant conversation on Facebook with a resident from Mt. Gilead, Morrow County, Ohio who remembered one of my distant cousins. First, I posted an 1871 map of Harmony Township that identified landowners. The map showed my Great Grandfather and his father and other members of the large George family.

Vincent Brown, a resident, identified the property and said that Lester Brown once lived there. I researched to learn about Lester and his Father, Roy. On it went, up the family tree ladder through Hezekiah and Enoch to our common origin, Henry George, an Ohio pioneer from Talgarth, Wales.

Vincent described Lester's business as he repaired machines and sharpened tools among other things. Incidentally, he played musical instruments.

I have an interest in the music connection because my daughter is a musician among other things. We are all musical.

When I shared my findings with my living second cousin, Lucille Helman Davis, at 95 years, she knew Lester and his father too. She did not know that they were cousins, even though "Lucy's" Mother was Mary Elizabeth George, daughter of James Almond George, my Great Grandfather.

She responded by telling me that Roy George (and probably young Lester) played music for Charlie and Mary Helman's fiftieth wedding anniversary.

Vincent added another colorful vignette.

"Tell you my favorite story about Lester George (other than getting to hear him play music at Harmony Church and with a small band at Chesterville in the 1970s). He had a shop helper named Smith, I think, who used to bring in sweepstakes envelopes that he (Smith) had received, saying in bold print, "You may have won $100,000!" etc.  Smith always wanted Lester to investigate about the money because Lester was smart and good at business. This happened several times, and Lester finally started saying, "Well, you don't have the money in the bank just yet."  Sad when I think of it."

Why is this story on my politics blog? Well, we need a break, and it is important to understand the context for our points of view.


My big old family, circa 1898

No comments:

Post a Comment